National Cyber Security Awareness Week - Stay Safe Online
National Cyber Security Awareness Week (12-15 June) is an Australian Government initiative to help you understand and identify cyber security risks as well as learning what simple steps you can take to protect your information online.
Remember these simple steps when online:
- Install and update your security software and set it to scan regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications.
- Use strong passwords and have different passwords for different uses.
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments.
- Take care when transacting online – research the supplier and use a safe payment method.
- Only download "apps" from reputable publishers and read all permission requests.
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites.
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online.
- Discuss ways to stay safe online with your family, including when using a smartphone or mobile device.
Here are some general tips for better online security:
- Notify CUA as soon as possible when you change your address or contact details, by visiting your local CUA branch or phoning CUA Direct on 133 282.
- Always check your statements carefully and report any unauthorised transactions to CUA immediately.
- If you receive a telephone call from a person claiming to be a CUA staff member requesting your card number and/or PIN or your Web Banker logon and/or WAC, do not give this person any information as CUA staff will not ask for these. Do not disclose personal or account information over the phone unless you are comfortable that you are speaking to CUA.
Read more on Security and Fraud
There are many more important safeguards that you can take to protect you and your family against fraud. The Australian Government has an excellent website that provides detailed information on the latest fraud prevention methods - visit Stay Smart Online.
If you have any other queries, please contact us on 133 282 or visit your local CUA branch.