CUA prides itself on its ‘fair fee’ policy. We have no monthly account keeping fees and provide more free transactions to those who do most of their banking with us.
Members whose combined balance of deposits and loans exceeds $50,000 enjoy an unlimited number of free transactions on their main personal transaction account1.
CUA’s fees and charges:
How to avoid excess transaction fees on personal accounts
Although most CUA members do not pay regular transaction fees, it is possible to bank without any other regular fees and charges by following these useful tips.
Paying for purchases:
- Ask for a free upgrade of your rediCARD to a Visa Debit card.2 With Visa Debit, all EFTPOS transactions are completely free as long as you press the Credit (CR) button.3 You can use Visa Debit in the same way as a credit card, which includes using it to shop online and over the phone. However, instead of accessing a pre-approved credit limit, you only spend your own money.
- Use a CUA MasterCard for all purchases and pay your bill in full each month to avoid interest.4
- Plan your transactions so you do not exceed your allowed number of free transactions per month.
- Combine transactions by using EFTPOS to pay for purchases and withdraw cash at the same time.
- Make any excess withdrawals from a supermarket using EFTPOS. This incurs a lesser fee than withdrawing from an ATM or branch.
- When withdrawing cash from an ATM, always use a rediATM branded machine wherever possible to avoid direct charging by other ATM networks.
- Pay bills for free using BPAY through phone or internet banking.
- Transfer funds into another bank account at any financial institution, at no cost, using internet banking.
- Use your Visa Debit3 card and select the credit option for unlimited free transactions.
- Use your CUA MasterCard4 and pay your bill in full each month.
Checking account balances:
- Obtain account balances for free by logging onto your account via Web Banker (www.cua.com.au) or by calling Telebanker on 133 282.
Avoiding dishonour fees:
- Ensure you always have sufficient cleared funds in your account to cover all withdrawals and debits. To help keep track of this, CUA offers an SMS alert service that notifies you of money movements in your accounts as they happen.
- Consider applying for an overdraft facility as a safety net for any unexpected expenses you may incur.4
1 Transaction accounts include: Prime Access, Freedom Plus, Platinum Plus and Pensioner Deeming. Please note, unless advised otherwise by the customer, CUA will select the account to which the free withdrawal transactions will apply. Free transaction allocations only include the following: rediATM withdrawals (within Australia), EFTPOS withdrawals, member cheque withdrawals, staff assisted transfer fee, cash withdrawals at CUA branches.
2 Eligibility criteria apply.
3 While all purchases made by pressing the credit button on your Visa Debit or MasterCard are free, some merchants may apply a surcharge fee. Some merchants may disable the credit button for Visa Debit transactions.
4 Subject to credit approval.