Techniques to brush up on
- Brush in small, gentle circles to clean front surface, and tilt the toothbrush to reach inner surfaces
- Avoid side-to-side scrubbing – it can damage teeth and gums
- Brush the biting surfaces of the teeth with a gentle back and forth motion
- Make sure to gently brush around the gum line
- If they're old enough to brush their own teeth, encourage brushing in a set order to make sure every surface is cleaned as back teeth and inner surfaces are often missed.
- Gently brushing their tongue also helps to remove decay-causing bacteria.
- Add novelty by using a battery-powered, character toothbrush
- Sing a nursery rhyme or play a favourite song while brushing
- Set up a two-minute timer
- Use rewards like a sticker chart and lots of praise and encouragement
- Get them to practise brushing their own teeth – give them a toothbrush to use while you use another and take turns to brush their teeth