There are many good reasons to get health insurance: it provides peace of mind, additional choice and more say in your personal healthcare. If you’re looking for health cover, CUA Health has been helping Australians care for their health since 1976.
We’ve put 40 years’ experience into creating health insurance that offers more to help you care for the ones you love – like value-for-money Hospital and Extras cover that’s right for you. It’s also easy to switch to CUA Health as you won’t have to re-serve any waiting periods.
Get a 4% discount* on your CUA Health premium
*when you pay by direct debit from your CUA transaction account. Discount applies from 4 April 2018.
Why choose CUA Health?
Switching to CUA Health
Making the switch from your current provider is easy. Join CUA Health and transfer over any served (or partially) served waiting periods to your new policy. Find out more
Kids are covered until they're 23
On Family or Single Parent cover until they turn 23 (or 25 if studying fulltime). What’s more, there’s no excess for kids if they’re admitted to hospital.
Bonus dental check ups
On some extra covers, additional benefits help reduce or eliminate the cost of dental care. For routine dental services, to a value of $250 per visit (with no gap to pay), one visit every year for adults (two visits for dependents under 23).
Cooling off period
It’s ok to change your mind. That’s why CUA Health gives you a cooling-off period of 30 days from the start date of your policy.
Easy online claims
With our CUA Health Mobile Claims app you only need to upload a photo of your invoice to make a claim. Find out more
Choose your healthcare provider
Enjoy the freedom of choosing your preferred healthcare provider.
Access Gap Cover
CUA Health offers access to a scheme that helps you reduce or, in many cases, eliminate potential out of pocket medical expenses.
Let us call you
Already a member? Download the CUA Health App now
CUA Health Cover
Waiting periods and pre-existing conditions Show content
When you take out health insurance for the first time, switch insurers or increase your level of cover, CUA Health asks that you wait a period of time before you can claim for new or higher benefits. Take a look at the table below to find out what waiting periods apply.
Whats covered? Show content
With our private hospital cover you can be treated as a private patient in a private or public hospital. CUA Health has agreements with the majority of private hospitals and day surgeries where you will receive benefits for your hospital accommodation, including:
- Charges for overnight or same day accommodation in a private or shared room
- Intensive care
- Operation or labour ward fees
- Surgically implanted prostheses (to the minimum benefit listed on the Federal Government’s Prostheses List).
- The Doctors' charges for in-hospital medical services up to the Medicare Schedule Fee.
Please contact us prior to any hospital admission to make sure your hospital is in agreement with CUA Health.
What is not covered? Show content
- Hospital treatment for which Medicare pays no benefit, like cosmetic surgery.
- In some cases your doctor’s and/or specialists’ (radiologist, anAEDThetist etc) fees may still be more than the Medicare benefit plus the CUA Health gap scheme so you may be required to make an additional payment. Please check this with your doctor before consultation or treatment.
- Gap payments may apply to certain prostheses (e.g. hip and knee joint replacements, artificial heart valves, pacemaker devices and intra-ocular lenses for cataract surgery).
- Any items of a personal nature, including TV rental or phone calls while in hospital that are not part of the agreed medical costs.
- You’ll need to pay any additional costs that are applied to any 'nursing home-type' patient admission into a public or private hospital. This amount is determined by the Federal Government.
- Experimental and some high cost or exceptional drugs.
- Services not invoiced by the hospital.
- If you go to an emergency room and are not admitted but the hospital still charges you for your visit, this charge is not covered and you’ll need to pay this yourself.
- Services able to be claimed by way of compensation or damages. CUA Health reserves the right to a full and immediate reimbursement of any claims covered by way of compensation or damages from another party.
- Services provided by a family member.
- Any treatment considered an outpatient service, e.g. Radium.
- Benefits for products, services or treatments purchased from or provided by practitioners overseas, whether you buy them in person, by mail order or online.
- Benefits in relation to sport, recreation or entertainment unless they are part of an approved chronic disease management or a health management program.
- Benefits for treatment, goods or services if false or misleading information is provided.
- Extras cover services for which a Medicare benefits is payable, except as allowable as hospital substitute treatment.
- Treatment, goods or services provided during a waiting period.